Arlington Center Safe Travel Project to Start April 1, Info Session March 23
MassDOT's Arlington Center Safe Travel Project is expected to start the first week of April 2016. The Arlington Center Safe Travel Project will provide a safe connection for the Minuteman Bikeway through Arlington Center, improve roadway safety and mobility for all users, plus upgrade infrastructure (roads, signals, and curb ramps) in the project area, which is centered around the intersection of Mass. Ave., Pleasant Street and Mystic Street (see map below). Estimated project completion is one construction season.
Public Information Session March 23
A public information session has been scheduled to review the project with Town officials, MassDOT representatives, and their contractor, J.J. Phelan Co on March 23, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., at Arlington Town Hall Auditorium, 730 Mass. Ave.
Stay in the Loop
The Town understands that this will impact residents, businesses, and travelers in the area. The contractor will provide periodic project updates (three-week look aheads) that will be posted on the Town’s website and distributed via email. If you would like to receive these email notifications, please subscribe to the "Arlington Center Safe Travel Project" email list online at: arlingtonma.gov/emailsubscriptions
What to Expect During Construction
- Mass. Ave. and all side streets will remain open to traffic at all times during construction.
- Reasonable access will be maintained for pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles through the project area and to abutting properties.
- The Contractor will provide written notice to all abutters one week in advance of any sidewalk reconstruction work and provide safe access to abutting properties during construction.
- Throughout the construction process, MassDOT will have a Resident Engineer on site to oversee construction.
- The Town will work with the MassDOT Resident Engineer and the contractor to set up a process for distributing information to residents and businesses, and addressing concerns.
Project Boundaries: Arlington Center
- Massachusetts Avenue: Water St. to Medford St.
- Pleasant Street at Massachusetts Avenue intersection
- Mystic Street: Massachusetts Avenue to Chestnut Street
For more information on the project including history and technical specifications please click on the “Arlington Center Safe Travel Project” link at arlingtonma.gov/projects.