Minuteman Bikeway Celebration
Sunday, October 5, 2008
NOTE: This event has already happened. Link to the related news story and video.
Join us in celebrating the Minuteman Bikeway's induction into the national Rail-Trail Hall of Fame, with special events and activities along the bikeway on Sunday, October 5, 2008.
This year, the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy named the Minuteman Bikeway as the fifth inductee to the national Rail-Trail Hall of Fame. Built 15 years ago, the Minuteman Bikeway remains one of the most popular rail-trails in America; it is also a significant urban greenway, abutting public parks and conservations lands.
To celebrate this exciting occasion, the communities of Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford are sponsoring a day-long celebration along the Minuteman Bikeway, with official ceremonies, guest speakers, and special events planned on Sunday, October 5, 2008:
- Alewife/Cambridge: 12:00pm, Minuteman Bikeway entry across from Alewife Station.
- Arlington: 1:30pm, Jefferson Cutter House, Arlington Center, park area at corner of Mass Ave and Route 60.
- Lexington: 2:30pm, Lexington Visitor Center, on bikeway near Meriam St.
- Bedford: 3:30pm, Bedford Depot Park, Minuteman Bikeway entry area at South Street.
> DOWNLOAD a Bikeway Celebration event SCHEDULE and MAP for Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford celebrations (PDF, revised 10/1/08).
> Get more info on Bikeway Celebration events in LEXINGTON.
Join us on Sunday, October 5, to celebrate the Minuteman Bikeway!
Related news stories:
- A Movable Feat. Front-page story on Bikeway Celebration and brief video, Arlington Advocate newspaper, October 7, 2008.
- A Movable Celebration. Short story about the Bikeway Celebration on Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's website, October 2008
- Minuteman Bikeway inducted into Rail-Trail Hall of Fame. Press release from Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, June 1, 2008.
- Popular trail gets better with time. Boston Globe article, June 29, 2008.
- Bike trail finds its ways to national fame. Boston Globe article, June 12, 2008.
- Minuteman Bikeway named "trail of the month". Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, June 2008.